- About Ishmael Reed
- Airing Dirty Laundry
- Another Day At The Front: Dispatches From The Race War
- Barack Obama and the Jim Crow Media: The Return of the Nigger Breakers
- Blues City: A Walk in Oakland
- GOD MADE ALASKA FOR THE INDIANS: Selected Essays
- Going Too Far: Essays About America's Nervous Breakdown
- Mixing It Up: Taking on the Media Bullies and Other Reflections
- Oakland Rhapsody, The Secret Soul Of An American Downtown, with photographs by Richard Nagler
- Shrovetide in Old New Orleans: Essays
- The Complete Muhammad Ali
- Writin' is Fightin': Thirty-Seven Years of Boxing on Paper
- 19 Necromancers From Now
- CALAFIA: The California Poetry
- From Totems to Hip-Hop: A Multicultural Anthology of Poetry Across the Americas, 1900–2001
- MultiAmerica, Essays on Cultural Wars and Cultural Peace
- Pow Wow, 63 Writers Address the Fault Lines in the American Experience
- THE BEFORE COLUMBUS FOUNDATION FICTION ANTHOLOGY: SELECTIONS FROM THE AMERICAN BOOK AWARDS 1980-1990
- The Before Columbus Foundation Poetry Anthology, Selections from the American Book Awards 1980–1990
- The HarperCollins Literary Mosaic Series, Ishmael Reed, General Editor
- The Reed Reader
- Yardbird Lives!
Oakland Rhapsody, The Secret Soul Of An American Downtown, with photographs by Richard Nagler
Oakland Rhapsody unites the talents of Richard Nagler, an award-winning photographer, and Ishmael Reed, a respected American novelist, essayist, and poet. Through photography and prose, they focus on Downtown Oakland and create a compelling visual and literary portrait of a major American city as it nears the turn of the century.
Downtown Oakland is special. Within a walk of just a few blocks, the visitor can experience the architecture and feel of California in 1895, or 1935, or 1995. Many nationalities have come to call the city home and have contributed to its rich and varied cultural life. All the problems and promise of the American inner city are on view.
Through Nagler's images and Reed's words, Oakland, one of the most misunderstood and unappreciated cities in America, emerges as a beautiful and complex subject, a city of charm and challenge, where the history and the future of the state come face-to-face in multicultural harmony.
For information on purchasing this title, please contact us.